Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Musings on Newlyweds

During my wedding reception, one of my wife's guests (a very astute and funny gentleman) told me that being married doesn't really hit you until the first "normal" day you wake up after all is said and done. He also said it's a life-altering event watching your wife walk down the aisle, but that's not the point.

This got me to thinking (a dangerous prospect for us writers) about what "normal" really is. "Normal" for me was seeing my new wife on the weekends and sporadically during the week for the past 2+ years (details I won't bore you with), but the new "normal" is having her there every day and seeing her when I get home at night. There's a wealth of novels about newlyweds (or if there isn't there should be) because the beginning of married life is bound to be good storytelling fodder.

It's not something I'd write, personally, because it sounds more romance-novel-esque than what I'm comfortable writing. Doesn't make the plot idea any less valid though.

EDIT: I told you I'd be back on the 22nd.

SECOND EDIT: Meant for that to say "It's not something I'd write about" because of that reason. That's what I get for not proofreading I suppose.

4 comments:

L. T. Host said...

Please keep us (me) updated! I'm always interested in how life is different after life-changing events. :)

Congratulations again Matt and Mrs. Matt! Will you post any photos for us when you have them?

Matthew Delman said...

D'oh! Meant to say it's not something I'd write about. Hence the edit above.

As to your second question, L.T., not really sure about that. I'm slightly reticent to post things like that (mostly because I don't feel they fall under its purview). That being said, if you care enough to hunt for me on Facebook you can see the photos there.

Natalie said...

Congratulations! The first year of marriage is so fun. I hope it's wonderful for you.

I don't think I've ever read a book about newlyweds. Maybe I read too much YA :) It's definitely an interesting time of life, someone should write about it.

L. T. Host said...

Understandable Matt. I'm an un-married girl, much to the chagrin of my boyfriend, so I'm all about the wedding pics :) I'll see if I can track you down on Facebook then!