Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Steampunk Writers & Artists Guild

A few weeks back, I held an impromptu Steampunk Chat on Twitter. The topic was historical accuracy in Steampunk and how much of it there really needed to be. During that chat, I was contacted by one Lia Keyes, a British ex-pat based in California who revealed to me that she owned the domain name Steampunkchat.com (transcripts of the past two chats are archived there, by the by), and suggested that we make the Twitter chat a weekly thing. And as you know, me being me, I couldn't resist such a pleasant idea.

Lia also told me that she'd created this fantastic web portal that, separate from The Steampunk Empire and Brass Goggles, was meant as a gathering place for Steampunk writers (and eventually Steampunk artists as well). Thus was born The Steampunk Writers & Artists Guild, or S.W.A.G. for short (I can hear the groans now).

Anywho, I write about S.W.A.G. now to tell you of the place's existence. We (I'm an admin) have a good number of members on there, but I'd love to see more participation with cross-posting of stuff on there among the various writers and artists that call the portal home. Or rather a home, since many of them also have other websites they operate. It's been a good resource so far in terms of connecting like-minded folks, which I love, and is a grand place for self-promotion and discussion. I know Lia's started a good number of discussions herself, and I want to see more and more people chime in as time goes on.

I did already cross-post to S.W.A.G. the interview I did with award-winning author Karin Lowachee about her Steampunk work, THE GASLIGHT DOGS, and other fun stuff that appeared on Doctor Fantastique's Show of Wonders as the first installment of the Ladies of Steampunk series. It would be kind of cool if y'all joined up and did some more cross-posting -- believe me, it's awesome to get your information out to as many places as possible.

But that's enough of my telling you about the Guild. Why not head over and check it out yourself?

2 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

What an awesome idea! I'll pop over right now. :-)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

It looks awesome. I'll do a promotional post tomorrow! :-)